Wizard Communication Systems
Online Support Pages
WS_FTP95 Pro Setup
File Transfer Protocol
What is File Transfer Protocol?
File Transfer Protocol (FTP) has been used almost exclusively on UNIX workstations and mainframes for many years to transfer files between remote computer systems. Internet access has made FTP a popular alternative to BBS systems. Early FTP compliant software used a command line interface that was difficult for some beginners to work with. As the Internet grew in popularity, new standards appeared (Gopher, WWW), providing a more user-friendly interface. However, FTP still remains the popular choice among computer professionals.
What is WS_FTP Pro?
WS_FTP Pro allows you to use Windows 95, Windows 98, and
Windows NT to copy to your PC, software
applications, games, images, and other files made available on a
continuing basis by organizations all over the world.
WS_FTP Pro turns your PC into an FTP client, allowing it to
communicate with virtually all types of FTP sites. This allows you to
transfer files from an FTP site to your PC, from your PC to an FTP
site, or even from one remote FTP site to another.
You can download an evaluation version of WS_FTP by clicking here
WS_FTP Pro requires the following system resources:
- An Intel 386, 486, or Pentium processor; or a Digital
- Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT
- A TCP/IP protocol stack.
You need a 32–bit stack to use the 32–bit version of WS_FTP
Pro. Microsoft Windows 95, 98, and NT all come with their own
32–bit TCP/IP stacks, but note that some TCP/IP stacks for
Windows 95 (such as Trumpet 1.0 and 2.0) can also be 16–bit.
For the 16–bit version, you can use either a 32– or 16–bit stack.
The installation of WS_FTP Pro is the same for new users as it is for
those who are upgrading from a previous version of WS_FTP Pro.
If you purchased WS_FTP Pro online, install it by double-clicking the
file you downloaded, accepting the defaults, and following the
prompts on your screen.
To install WS_FTP Pro from a disk:
1. Insert the WS_FTP Pro disk into a disk drive.
2. If you are running Windows 95, 98, or NT 4.0 or later, click the
Start button and select Run. If you are running Windows NT
3.51, select Run from the File menu.
3. Enter the drive letter followed by install.exe. For example,
4. Choose WS_FTP Pro Installation, when asked.
5. Follow the instructions on your screen.
To start WS_FTP Pro, do one of the following:
The main window and WS_FTP Sites dialog box appear. Type in the following information:
- In Windows 95, 98, and NT 4.0 or later, click the Start button and
select Programs–>WS_FTP Pro–>WS_FTP Pro.
- Double-click the WS_FTP Pro icon wherever you installed it.
- In Windows NT 3.51, open the WS_FTP Pro folder
and double-click the WS_FTP95 Pro icon.
Click on the Ok button to connect to your WCS site.
- Profile Name: www.wzrd.com
- Host Name/Address: www.wzrd.com
- Host Type: Automatic detect.
- User ID: your WCS username.
- Password: your WCS password.
Uploading Files and Folders
Uploading a file or folder copies it from your PC to an FTP site.
1. Once you are connected to the FTP site to which you want to upload the file(s)to,
then locate the desired destination folder or create a new folder on the Remote System side of the screen (right side.)
2. Locate and select the file(s) you want to upload on the Local System side of the screen (left side.) Double click on them to send them to the
destination folder on the Remote System side of the screen(right side.)
Downloading Files and Folders
Downloading a file or folder copies it from an FTP site to your PC.
1. Once you are connected to the FTP site to which you want to download the file(s)from,
locate the desired files or folder on the Remote System side of the screen (right side.)
2. Select the file(s) or folders you want to Download on the Remote System side of the
screen(right side.) Double click on them to send them to the destination folder on the Local
System side of the screen(left side.)
You have successfully setup & run WS_FTP95 Pro
Back to WCS Support Page